Saturday, February 4, 2012

The journey to the other side of the world

After a long series of hugs and goodbyes exchanged with my family I waited in the busy security line at the Philly airport. I’ll miss them, as well as my friends and boyfriend. I wanted to make my last meal in the States as American as possible, so I got a Philly Cheesesteak. It was good, but still not the classic ones you can get in the city. My flight was scheduled to leave at 5:55 pm.

To my delight I get a window seat with nobody in the seat directly next to me. For the next 5.5 hours I attempt to stay awake and read or play minesweeper and solitaire on my ipod. I figure this is small potatoes of a flight compared to the next one. I stared out my window as we approached LA. I’ve never been there before. The view from the sky is spectacular. It looks like the night sky sparkled with stars but with flowing rivers of white lights.

There is around a 2 hour layover before I board the Qantas plane. Its 11:40 local time, but felt like 1:40 to me. The airplane is the biggest one I’ve ever flown on or even seen. It has 2 levels!!! There are 3 seats by each window, and aisle, then four in the center. By some lucky coincidence I got yet another window seat AND no body sitting in the seat next to me. I took full advantage of both blessings during my nap. The food was good for airplane food, and dinner included an Australian wine.

I watched ‘Just go with it’ (an American rom-com) then passed out. I’m not sure how long I slept, but when I woke up I decided to watch another movie. I plugged in my headphones to the TV in the seat ahead of me, and low and behold country music filled my ears! Some American country, but mostly new Australian artists. I’m a big country fan and was unaware of this awesome new source of good tunes.

After a breakfast of omelet, yogurt, and fruit salad, the plane flew over Sydney. Just seeing the city was spectacular with its many terracotta rooftops and trees. We touched down and I went through customs. My first thought was WOW- this is the other side of the world. I quickly found a Vodafone booth and purchased a pay as you go phone then got cash out of the ATM. I have to say Australian currency is prettier than American. I took the train to my hostel. I am here!

No comments:

Post a Comment